Since our girls were born, our priorities shifted when it came to gift giving during the holidays. Instead of running to the mall to pick up something quick, we really take the time to hand make something each year for everyone on our list. We pick one project, and spend time over Thanksgiving weekend to work together on DIY homemade holiday gifts for our friends, family, and teachers. Kids are naturally proud when they create something on their own, and it helps them understand that giving can be more fun than receiving.
Would you like to start this tradition but not sure if you can handle being crafty? Let me assure you, I have the patience of a gnat but have found a way to overcome my fear of the glue gun! If I can do this, so can you! All it takes is a little planning and teamwork with your family! And keep in mind, if you aren’t into Black Friday, you can just run to Michael’s or Hobby Lobby the day after Thanksgiving to pick up supplies at a mucho discount. Here are 20 DIY homemade holiday gifts that I like to make, I hope you’re inspired too!
20 diy homemade holiday gifts to make with kids!
- DIY Baby Food Jar Candles: So simple yet so adorable. You can even customize these DIY gifts with your own labels.
- DIY Christmas Ornaments Vintage Sheet Music: Using sheet music as a medium makes for a unique gift! Or try these rustic finds!
- DIY Sharpie Mugs with Kids: This DIY is full of fail proof ways to make a personalized mug. Get the kids to help you with the design ideas.
- Button Christmas Tree: Here is a creative way to use buttons. It is also a great way to keep those little hands busy.
- Christmas Tree Cutouts: This will blow your mind! So personal and creative, everyone will want one!
- Gifts in a Jar: There are so many adorable gifts you can make in mason jars! I’m obsessed with this idea!
- Double Chocolate Bean Vanilla Hot Cocoa Mugs with Marshmallows: Are you drooling? I am, THIS might be our gift this year!
- M&M Christmas Trees: Instead of giving sweets, use them to make cute Christmas tree decorations.
- DIY Sachets: This craft is a great way to introduce your kids to sewing.
- Salt Dough Ornaments: Always a favorite with my kids. They love playing with the dough and they always come up with some great ideas.
- Burlap Reindeer Wall Art: Who doesn’t love adorable Christmas decorations? Make these over the Thanksgiving holiday and give early!
- DIY Coasters: These are so perfect for so many friends in your life, plus the kids can do them!
- Homemade Body Butter: This almond scent must smell like heaven, and so natural and pure!
- DIY Milk and Honey Soap: I love getting unique soaps that make my skin soft. These are so pretty!
- Peppermint Sugar Scrub: The kids love making these luxury bath items, and who doesn’t love a little mint to wake up in the morning?
- Stepping Stones: Put those broken pieces of china to use by making a stepping stone. Great way to cherish a favorite plate or mug that was broken accidentally.
- DIY Anthropologie Pom Pom Scarf: Use any color you would like to make this cute but stylish wearable gift.
- Kool-Aid Lip Gloss: Also a great DIY stocking stuffer idea – or kids can make for their friends at school!
- DIY Baking Sheet Memo Boards: Make a handy place to keep important notes and reminders. Customize it anyway you would like.
- Adorable Picture Frames: These are so creative and perfect for family member far away!
Good luck crafting and Happy Holidays! What are your favorite DIY homemade holiday gifts to make with kids?